Wednesday, April 29, 2009

The End of my GID?

A few weeks ago I wrote an important post recognizing that my GID might have a sociocultural and associative component. As I began to explore that idea, I began to see more and more how deep it went, how much it had to do with my GID, and how relieving it was to realize it. I looked at myself and asked who am I? What am I longing to be when my GID takes over? Why does what I want to be have to be female? I took a hard look at my internal identity, at my idealized self.

All I've ever wanted was to be myself. All I've ever wanted was to be accepted for the person I believe myself to be on the inside. I learned to believe as a child that I could not be myself because I was male. Everything that I thought represented masculinity was not me so I assumed I must not be male. That turned me thinking that I needed to be a girl to truly be me. Denying my true self and embracing a masculine facade only strengthened my resolve to be myself (which by that point I associated with becoming female). When I met others like me, I related to them and their stories, began to identify as a transsexual and took the path of transition.

I'm challenging this all. I'm challenging my base assumption. I realized I was wrong. I am not a female, nor should I ever have been. I am a male who has markedly feminine traits and who should be able to express them to be true to himself. Once I realized all this, I realized I needed to change my idealized self from female to male. As I've done this, as I've reinforced that ideal, I have come to peace with being male. I feel stonger, more powerful, more in control and more peaceful than ever in my life with regard to my GID and it is because I was honest with myself, did some deep searching, recognized its root, challenged its existence, and now can face the truth:

A male child who had tremendously culturally feminine disposition was trounced upon by his male and female peers as well as belittled by the adults in his life. He came to associate his natural state of being as not appropriate for a male and began to pursue more masculine behaviors and attributes. Realizing these didn't accurately represent him, he determined he must be a female. As the child grew up he forgot his initial reasoning for determining he must be female and began to believe it essential to his core until it consumed him.

In essence, I developed the need to be female as a way to be myself. So as long as I can be myself without being female, the need to be female is moot.

I'm learning that now, and I am at peace.

It is challenging though. I realize my need to be female results from a feeling that I cannot be male and myself. I must therefore make a conscious and definitive effort to be myself (show my feminine traits) as a male especially when I am afraid to do so - such as in the presence of a group of other males. If I retreat into my entirely believable Actor persona and find relief, I only reinforce the the initial problem - that I cannot be myself and be male.

It is like fighting a phobia. If I'm afraid of socks and run from socks every time I am presented with them, it only negatively reinforces my fear of socks. Only if I stand in the presence of my fear and begin to associate that fear with less fearful experiences will I truly overcome it, but it will take diligence and effort.

So it is with my GID. I must learn to become comfortable being male and being myself. If I can learn to do that without retreating into my Actor persona, I will beat it the need to be female. While it will always seem nice to be female, it will no longer be associated with being true to myself, and thus will not consume me.

Will this be the end of my GID? I cannot know - but it certainly seems an important step in learning how to live without transition.

6 comments:

  1. I like your approach, one should be able to express ones self, feminine or masculine, without having to change one's body as drastically as some do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find it interesting how you say that the reasoning behind coming to the conclusion of needing to transition is all excuses, when actually they are simply reasons and fairly good ones at that. You speak alot of self-deception, yet you still suffer from it. How many males do you know that have those sorts of thoughts anyways? You act, feel, sound like a female to me. I get the feeling this is going to be the re-transitioners blog soon, then the detransitioners blog,ad infinitum, with a good helping of validation at each turn. The reason validation bothers you so much is that you felt you needed it so badly, and still do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You hit on some interesting points, and I'd like to discuss them in more detail and ask more specific questions with regard to your points. Would you be willing to email me directly? gidinteralia@gmail.com.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1- you are an effeminate male. true. self-identification as one does not grant you membership to being a transsexual female, even if you did transition before... you went back did you not, because you claim all of your stories about your own GID was a LIE to get what you wanted? you were lying to yourself and the medical community. congratulations, i'm sure your God forgives you and it may be fine for you to go on back to your "old" life with friends and family ready to embrace the "real" and old you - your words... see your family knew you were really just an effeminate gay man but they humoured you. how much it must have hurt them, really - to have to go through all that gender stuff with you knowing you were really kidding yourself. but the sad thing here is, you haven't learned anything from that. you're still claiming to be transsexual. ugh. i can only hope you're not deluding others who share the same views you do that they are still transsexuals when they are clearly just effeminate and/or gay-identified males.

    2- you have had lifelong issues with being perceived as a gay male even though you a- identify with being male, and b- actively pursued intimate encounters with men while dressed up, pre-op and even before you were living full time from what i read in your stories. it is a far too common experience of gay men who are internally homophobic or even non-gay men who are perceived as being too effeminate by others, taking this idea to extremes into meaning they must be better off living as straight women.... anything to avoid the gay label. and this my friend, is where you failed, rather epically.

    instead of holding onto your "real" identity as an actual transsexual would and wading through the muck of it all with therapy and other measures to deal with it, you approached it with your typical male attitude and fast-tracked your medical transition through lies. couldn't live with all the lies of being either-or gender, took the gay male route, dropped your feminine pronouns and pretense at being a woman and backed out. there is no "closet" to go back to when you're out of the pandora's box, doll. couldn't have a gay man for a partner, nor a straight one? your problem always appeared to be about sex and your social-sexual relationships with other males, not gender identity at all. treatment for transsexualism was not what was required here, but a kind and understanding gay-knowledgeable therapist-psychiatrist.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your comments. I claim to have GID - that normally indicates some level of transgenderism/transsexualism. If I have falsely claimed to be a transsexual, I apologize for the way you feel it minimizes your feelings. That being said, you will find my story is far more common than it is uncommon - few however are willing to go as far as I have at uncovering our true motivations. If that makes me no longer transsexual - I have no need to wear the label - it is merely an easy way to describe my experience and feelings to someone else.

    I wrote this a long time ago, at this stage in my life the word transsexual rarely crosses my lips in reference to myself - I merely am an XY male with GID.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The thing about transsexualism is that it is not the same thing as GID. GID is a very broad spectrum, where as transsexualism refers to one type of GID. If you feel an urge to become female then you have GID, but not necessarily transsexualism. From reading your posts, most likely have GID but not transsexualism. However, if your desire to transition is based off homosexual feelings, then it isn't GID.

    ReplyDelete